Conscious Dance Events in Nelson
In our popular, Nelson-based community classes you won't learn to dance - you will dance to learn. Movement and dance are used as a safe tool for you to explore, have fun and express yourself. See our upcoming events page below.
“Creativity involves breaking out of established patterns in order to look at things in a different way.”
- Edward de Bono
Hester is a registered Arts Therapist, group facilitator and movement teacher who supports others to live their unique potential. She holds a first class clinical Master's degree in Arts Therapy, is a certified Open Floor movement meditation teacher and the co-founder and director of Conscious Dance Aotearoa, New Zealand's annual festival of Conscious Dance.
"In many traditional societies if you complained of being disheartened, dispirited, or depressed, they would ask one of four questions. "
- When did you stop dancing? - When did you stop singing? - When did you stop being enchanted by stories? - When did you stop finding comfort in the sweet territory of silence?
Dancing, singing, storytelling, and silence are the four universal healing salves and where we have stopped them is where we have experienced the loss of soul."
- Gabrielle Roth (Author & Founder of 5 Rhythms)
- Sun, 09 OctHampden St School Hall
- Sat, 29 OctNelson29 Oct, 10:00 am – 30 Oct, 1:30 pmNelson, 250 Hampden Street, Nelson South, Nelson 7010, New Zealand“You can’t stop the waves but you can learn to surf” - Jon Kabat - Zinn We can loose vital life energy when we flight things beyond our immediate control, wish things were different or shut down parts of ourselves. While we can’t always control what happens in life, we can learn to dance with it.
- Thu, 01 DecRiverside
- Sun, 15 JanHampden St School Hall
- Sun, 12 FebHampden St School Hall
- Sun, 05 MarHampden St School Hall
- Sun, 02 AprHampden St School Hall
"I went along to Open Floor with Hester Phillips for the first time on Sunday. I had previously thought it wouldn't be for me, as I'm not super comfortable with free dance. I have always preferred choreographies or dancing at an event (e.g. band, party with DJ etc). I must say that by 1/2 an hour in, I was already feeling liberated and free - free from my own self-imposed limitations. Free to express myself through dance without fear, embarrassment or anxiety - with a wonderful group of friendly people and an amazing dance host. You made my week"
- June Fallen
"I never wanted to dance because I thought I was a really bad dancer and felt ridiculous, afraid of what people could think about me. I decided to give a try and... after a moment of feeling very uncomfortable, wondering why I was there, I started to let it be and finally loved it! It is such a good feeling to dance. Hester choose the right music, she hold the space perfectly. The conscious dance events she organized are much more than dancing for me, it allows me to release emotions buried for a long time and at the end of the session I feel lighter, relieved, released."
- Caroline Pieton
"For most of my life I’ve tried to learn various dances, but nothing ever jelled, I felt uncoordinated, and so I’d built up a deep fear of dancing, especially with others: one of those 2-step dancers, not knowing what to do with my hands. When I went to my first dance class with Hester 3 weeks back I didn’t move much for the first while and then something clicked inside, I let go, and I felt myself opening, waking up, lifting my feet and arms to embody the music! I was free!"